Financing Social Protection Floors throught economic cycles
Social protection is crucial to build resilience and empower people in tough economic times. It can also spur inclusive growth and productivity in good times if adequate public financing is provided throughout the economic cycle. This event will discuss concrete experiences and options to finance fiscally sustainable social protection systems, including floors, in prosperous and adverse economic times.
- Ambassador Martín García Moritán, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN
- Stephan Reichert, Financing for Development Division, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
- Vinicius Pinheiro, Special Representative to the UN, International Labour Organisation
- Roberto Bissio, Executive Director, Third World Institute (ITeM)/Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors (GCSPF)
- Serpil Bouza, Strategy, Policy and Review Department, IMF
- Shari Spiegel, Chief of Policy Analysis and Development, Financing for Development Office/UN DESA
- Moderator: Gemma Adaba, SocDevJustice/Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors (GCSPF)
The side event will take place in the framework of the second ECOSOC Forum on Financing for Development follow-up convened by the President of ECOSOC from 22 to 25 May 2017 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
The event is organized by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany; the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations; Brot für die Welt and SocDevJustice on behalf of Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors (GCSPF); and the International Labour Organization (ILO).
See the flyer here.